Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Kitchen Adventures 20: Parul Bhatt

Parul Bhatt


1998: 

A little before Google was launched, I had just started being a frequently published writer.

Frankly, I believed I could write about anything. I still do. All I needed to do was learn, understand, write, un-learn and move on.

The topics I wrote on were many. A kind editor, Nikhil Raghavan, put me in touch with Parul and Satyan Bhatt of Prism PR. To them, he said, “Ameeta writes very well; she has perfect understanding of the subject and an easy-to-read style of writing.” Words of praise I’ve never heard from him in person.

I met Parul for the first time to research an article about a Prism client, and was struck by her lovely long plait, slim, striking countenance. She, just like me, had two daughters, and we’re Gujju. We struck a rapport immediately.

Parul and Satyan were among the few Guajarati people I knew during those early days in Chennai.

Almost immediately I found out that Parul is quite a Ninja in the kitchen. Nothing can distract her when she cooks, and can easily manage three or four dishes at a time. By 11 in the morning, all her cooking is done. Then, her Parul’s Magic social media posts begin. Each one more droolworthy than the other – for me.

Exemplary multi-tasking, indeed. Mom, Chef, PR professional….  

And then, she wrote a recipe book. Parul’s Magic.

Parul with Parul's Magic

Although she lives in another part of Chennai, much to my delight, she’s sent me her pickles, masalas and even Undhiyu.  

“My style of cooking is simple, straight forward and elegant. It is like Sachin Tendulkar’s batting.” Clearly, lady confidence is on her side.

“Mom’s a master with a no-nonsense approach,” say daughter Priyanka.

“She loves listening to music as she cooks. But, anything else, like chatter from us, or questions from dad, irritate her no end,” daughter Pooja adds. 

My autographed copy of Parul's Magic

The Sabudana Khichdi Story

My family, including both South Indian sons-in-law - Shyam and Arjun and grand-kids love it. So much, that they have now mastered the technique of making perfect Sabudana Khichdi.

During the early days, my Khichdi would turn out sticky, lumpy and  mushy.  Many trials, errors and mush later, with my mother’s help, I managed to perfect the dish. My family now calls it Khila Khila Sabudana khichdi – because each grain is separate and well cooked.

Lessons Learnt:

·         Quality of Sabudana matters especially in khichdi

·         Perfect soaking time  

How to purchase sabudana:

For Khichdi: even sized and white pearls. Should be whole and not crushed.

For Kheer or Payasam:   mini pearls

For Vada: large nylon pearls


Soaked sabudana



Khila Khila Sabudana Khichdi

Khila Khila Sabudana Khichdi

Ingredients

Potatoes (cut into small cubes) – half cup

Sabudana – 1 cup

Salt – to taste

Red chilli powder – 1 teaspoon

Lemon juice – 1 teaspoon

Roasted, de-husked, coarsely ground peanuts – quarter cup

For Seasoning

Oil or ghee – 3 tablespoons

Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon

Red chilli cut into 2 – 1

Cloves – 2

Cinnamon stick – 1 inch

Curry leaves – a few

Green chilli slit into 2 - 1

Garnishing

Coriander leaves - cleaned, washed and finely chopped – 3 teaspoons

Procedure

·         Wash sabudana thoroughly with water at least 3 times or till water is clear and not cloudy. Keep sabudana in a broad bowl after washing.

·         Soak sabudana with water and make sure to add water I inch above the sabudana level.

·         Cover the bowl and keep aside for minimum 3 hours. You will see sabudana puffed up - it will double in size.

·         Transfer sabudana into a colander to remove excess water.

·         Heat oil in a kadai – preferably nonstick.

·         Add cumin, cook till golden in color, add cloves, chilli, cinnamon, curry leaves, cook till curry leaves turn crisp.

·         Add green chilli and potato cubes, stir well. Cover the kadai with the lid and cook for 5 minutes.

·         Check if potato cubes are cooked, add sabudana, salt, chilli powder and gently stir and make sure sabudana is not sticking at the bottom.

·         Cook on a low flame covered with the lid for 5 minutes.

·         Add peanuts and lemon juice, mix. If sabudana looks transparent, it is cooked well, otherwise cook it till done.

·         Cover with the lid and leave it for 10 minutes.

·         Garnish with coriander and serve with plain dahi (yogurt).

Note: be generous with oil. While cooking if you see sabudana sticking add little more oil. Do not overcook otherwise sabudana will become clayey. Instead of red chilli powder you can use just green chilli.

 

 


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar